Under the pretext of restoration works, the building of the Tashkent State Pedagogical University named after Nizami was demolished. It was built in the 1940s. Designed by the well-known architect E. Jmuyda, the building has a special cultural and historical value and is one of the few remaining buildings from the Soviet times.
The sculptures by the Central Asian sculptors Olga Manuylova and Olga Korjinskaya that decorated the university entrance were destroyed in a barbaric manner. These sculptures were one of the rare examples of Soviet monumental art.
Olga Manuylova also made a sculpture for the Uzbek pavilion at the Soviet Union Exhibition of National Economic Achievements in 1937.
The mill wheel of continuous demolition and unexpected reconstruction of buildings in the city turns on and on without a break. The attention of the local “great builders of future” is focused on sites which have cultural and historical values.
For unknown reasons, the authorities ordered the demolition of the historical building of the Tashkent Medical Institute. The ancient building of the “Tashkent Colosseum” (a former concert hall named after Sverdlov during the Soviet times) built in 1911 has been turned into a trade center. Dozens of other cultural sites in Tashkent could be added to the list of destroyed buildings upon the order of the authorities.
Silence of the Lambs (American thriller)
The officials responsible for the protection of memorial buildings are keeping mum about this development. The Art Academy of Uzbekistan also did not say a word against the destruction of historical memorials.
It is obvious that the city of Tashkent has been handed over to masters of construction and demolition. It is becoming a city without face and history.
(Text by Akmal Rizayev)